Shinya Aoki closed out the show inside of Tokyo’s Ryogoku Kokugikan in stunning fashion as he put Eduard Folayang to sleep via arm-triangle choke in the first round of their main event championship rematch.
ONE: A New Era’s ambition of offering fight fans a historic night of mixed martial arts indeed turned out to be incredible with stunning results and shockers.
It took nearly three years for the Japanese challenger to finally get a chance at avenging his November 2016 TKO defeat to the Filipino MMA star. On Sunday evening, he made sure to seize the opportunity in front of his home crowd.
As the bout’s opening bell sounded, Aoki immediately went for an early take down on the champion and soon found the Filipino fighter underneath him. With the favorable position, “Tobikan Judan” was able to lock in a choke hold that ultimately spoiled Folayang’s night, stripping him of the coveted lightweight title belt.
In their version of a rematch, Yodsanklai IWE Fairtex got his vengeance on Andy Souwer in a ONE Super Series of Kickboxing catchweight encounter. Fairtex evened his head-to-head matchup with Souwer with a second round knockout win.
When ONE Championship announced that it had signed Eddie Alvarez back in October 2018, there was much anticipation on what the former UFC lightweight champion would bring to his new promotion. On Sunday night, the fight world was left in a state of shock as Timofey Nastyukhin re-introduced himself to the lightweight division spotlight with a stunning first round TKO victory over the “Underground King” in his debut. With the loss, Alvarez was eliminated from the ONE Lightweight Grand Prix, while Nastyukhin moved on to the semi-finals.
Meanwhile, another big-time signing and former UFC champion also made his debut. Demetrious Johnson had a perfect start to his ONE Championship journey after he submitted Yuya Wakamatsu in the second round of their Flyweight Grand Prix matchup by way of guillotine choke. The win launched “Mighty Mouse” into the tournament’s semi-finals and eliminated Wakamatsu from contention.
The card’s bantamweight title fight, a trilogy bout that pitted champion Kevin Belingon against former champion Bibiano Fernandes, ended in an unlikely and unfortunate turn of events as the “Silencer” was disqualified after committing an illegal maneuver in the third round. Due to the circumstances, Fernandes was declared the victor and ONE’s new bantamweight world champion. Following the result, an outright rematch and fourth installment to the rivalry was assured given the premature nature of Sunday’s finish.
Also on the night, Myanmar’s MMA icon Aung La N Sang scored a dominating and outstanding TKO triumph over Ken Hasegawa in front of his Japanese foe’s home crowd, defending his championship crown and retaining his ONE middleweight title. The win served as a key to a potential dream matchup between the “Burmese Python” and Brandon Vera, ONE’s current heavyweight champion.
Lastly, in the card’s final co-main event of the evening that pitted champion against champion, Chinese sensation Xiong Jing Nan halted Singapore’s Angela Lee on her quest at making history by becoming the first-ever two division female title holder. Lee, who was coming off an injury that stalled the two’s previous scheduled fight, was gassed out by Jing Nan through four rounds. In the final round, the strawweight champion put her foot on the pedal, causing the referee to issue a stoppage against Lee to retain her world title.
• Danny Kingad (Philippines) defeated Senzo Ikeda (Japan) via unanimous decision in their ONE Flyweight World Grand Prix Quarter-final match
• Kairat Akhmetov (Kazakhstan) defeated Reece McLaren (Australia) via unanimous decision in their ONE Flyweight World Grand Prix Quarter-final match
• Rodtang Jitmuangon (Thailand) defeated Hakim Hamech (France) via Split Decision in their ONE Super Series Flyweight Muay Thai match
• Joseph Lasiri (Italy) defeated Hiroki Akimoto (Japan) via Majority Decision in their ONE Super Series Flyweight Kickboxing
• Mei Yamaguchi (Japan) defeated Kseniya Lachkova (Russia) via Third Round Armbar Submission in their Mixed Martial Arts Women’s Atomweight match
• Garry Tonon (USA) defeated Anthony Engelen (Netherlands) via First Round TKO in their Mixed Martial Arts Featherweight match
• Panicos Yusuf (Cyprus) defeated Mohammed Bin Mahmoud (Malaysia) via Unanimous Decision in their ONE Super Series Bantamweight Muay Thai match
• Yoon Chang Min (South Korea) defeated Bala Shetty (India) via First Round Rear-Naked Choke Submission in their Mixed Martial Arts Lightweight match
Follow us on Twitter at @aseansports1.